Location: Oklahoma City, OK, US
Job ID: 17686
Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
This is a unique opportunity to become part of a dynamic team that is responsible for administering Ad Valorem Tax within Devon. The ad valorem tax team is responsible for analyzing, negotiating, planning, and remitting property taxes for over 16,000 properties within four states. The team works with the accounting, business development, evaluation & planning, GIS, public & government affairs, land, legal, new ventures, and tax departments to prepare, negotiate, and remit property taxes. The team also interacts with both local taxing authorities and peer groups/industry trade organizations on a regular basis to advocate positions that are favorable to the industry. The team also researches, analyzes, and advises the tax department and other departments of the company from time-to-time on technical ad valorem tax matters and special tax projects. This position would be responsible for compliance and payment related matters as well as the preparation, evaluation, and negotiation of ad valorem tax values using complex appraisal methods. The position requires a bright self-starter who is ready, willing, and able to immediately accept and execute a book of business. The successful candidate will report to the Manager—Tax who leads the team.
Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Management, Management Information Systems, or Marketing or commensurate experience required. A minimum of 12-hours in accounting or finance are required.
Requires one to three years oil and gas experience. Experience with financial analysis and/or interaction with business decision makers is preferred.
• Assist with preparation and analysis of appraisals of all company properties with high ad valorem tax exposure, to include, but not limited to marketing and upstream assets to assure that proposed assessments are fair and equitable.
• Assist with negotiation of ad valorem tax assessments with state & local tax authorities and approve binding assessments.
• Consult with ad valorem tax experts to implement effective tax planning techniques to minimize ad valorem taxes.
• Develop financial information using reporting tools such as Finance Tabular (BIDW,) ESSBASE, SAP HANA, and PowerBI.
• Assist with appeal recommendations for issues which cannot be resolved and representation of business units in administrative hearings.
• Gather/analyze data and prepare and file completed ad valorem tax returns to ensure compliance with all applicable tax laws to avoid penalties and/or loss of taxpayer’s rights.
• Process/code payments in a timely manner to appropriate taxing jurisdictions to avoid penalty/interest.
• Assist with various tax and non tax special projects as assigned.
• Research issues, strategies, and tax planning ideas as opportunities to reduce or minimize taxes.
• Provide analysis and due diligence support for company acquisition and divestiture activities.
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of ad valorem tax regulations.
• Prepare ad valorem tax information for special projects, budgets/forecasts, accruals, and regulatory initiatives.
• Represent Devon in industry groups, government affairs, and community outreach programs..
• Oil and gas accounting as well as financial analysis experience.
• Self-motivated with ability to work with moderate supervision in a team environment.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Able to travel as required.
• Demonstrate commitment to Devon Attributes and practice safe work habits at all times.
Devon Energy is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity, including providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability. Applicants with a physical or mental disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process may contact the Devon Talent Acquisition Team at Diversity@dvn.com.